Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

not just a dream

Recently I was at a meeting at work, where we were asked to say something about ourselves. Everyone discussed their families, their children and husbands. When it came around to me, I spoke of being a writer,and then I realized, I think many people have the dream of the husband, children and white picket fence. But this was never my dream. When I was in graduate school in 1993, the same thing happened. My professor asked the class, what is 1 goal you have before you die? It was an easy answer for me. I want to write a book and have it published. So now I can see a pattern.

Slowly I have been returning to my writing. I can make all kinds of excuses for not writing, too tired, not enough time, etc. But it comes down to the following. I have been told by a few people recently that I have a gift and I should not waste it. And that I am wasting my time if I don't do something with this gift, since not everyone has it. This was stated from a few people who are not even friends.. They don't even know me personally, yet they are 100% correct. So I have been checking on some websites, thinking of what I can submit for publication and gathering my thoughts to work on that book I have been wanting to write since I was young. I have always considered myself a writer. As a child, I kept journals. This went on for years, into adulthood. I got away from that and started again around my late twenties. Then, about 10 years ago, I joined a writing group at a local Borders. My teacher, a published author liked my writing. Eventually when I moved I really missed this monthly group, and then I got away from my writing as well. About 2 years ago, I joined another writing group locally through meetup.com that I really enjoyed. Unfortunately, due to my schedule I am unable to attend these meetings. But I do recall one of the people stating that keeping a blog is a good way to practice your writing skills. So in Summer 2009, I went online and started my blog. Then life got in the way and I forgot about it. I got sidetracked. Now here I am, 19 months later. About 3 weeks ago I was thinking about my blog and was able to locate it online. I really want to write on here daily. I could be doing other things right now before work, but I am glad I am taking time out of my day. I feel inspired, as I have found a few writing conferences which interest me, and I have emailed a few submissions. At least I am trying, even if I get rejected. Failure is not trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment