Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Failure

This was originally written in December 2015. I promised myself I would keep my weight off. At the beginning, I was the poster child for WLS, when I was starving myself and unable to eat. I was written up in Obesity Help magazine and lost half my body weight in less than a year. Then my hunger returned and  I was not feeling full.  I still stick to my small protein-based meals and snacks. I joined an online group for regain, but it did not work for me.

 I look at this weight gain like any other diet, I was unable to sustain my weight loss. Recently while at the library, I noticed the book Proteinaholic under the new releases. This book is written by a well-known weight-loss surgeon, Dr. Garth Davis. Since I follow him online, I knew he was writing a book. In a nutshell, Dr. Garth became overweight and developed a few chronic illnesses. He did  some research on cultures with lower obesity levels and examined their diets. His conclusion was protein-based diets can contribute to these chronic problems. He is now a vegan. As a WLS patient, I found this interesting.  I began to experiment this week. I looked at what Dr. Garth eats, and looked at a sample menu in the back of the book. I have lost 4.5 pounds, which is miraculous for me. There are many anti-carb WLS patients who would disagree with this way of eating. Yes, it is a diet.  I don't kid myself. But at least I don't have to obsess about weighing my portions and counting protein and carb grams. Let me know if you have gained weight after surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment